Friday, January 2, 2009

A Conversation with Wikipedia about "Blogs"

(Photo by Jennifer Belisle)

 I decided that I would try writing a weekly blog in 2009. For the first one I will discuss the word, “blog” with the best source on these things, Wikipedia.



Ed: So what is a "blog"?

Wikipedia: “A blog (a contraction of the term "Web log") is a Web site, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog.”

Ed: So now we discover blog is both a noun and a verb. Who originated it?

Wiki: “The term "weblog" was coined by Jorn Barger[51] on 17 December 1997. The short form, "blog," was coined by Peter Merholz, who jokingly broke the word weblog into the phrase we blog in the sidebar of his blog.”

Ed: Interesting. I never knew all that. So lets talk about my blog. What I want to do in my blog is to document my life and the way I feel so that people will get to know me a bit better. My life is not necessarily complex, but it is quite busy. It would be nice to let people know about some of the more personal aspects of me, for instance I like to…

Wiki: "The Washingtonienne", blogged about her sex life while employed as a congressional assistant. After the blog was discovered and she was fired,[39]

Ed: Well maybe just one or two stories about select personal stuff, changing names and…

Wiki: “Cutler is presently being sued by one of her former lovers in a case that could establish the extent to which bloggers are obligated to protect the privacy of their real life associates.[40]

Ed: Ok, well, I do like to talk about politics. And freedom of speech about politics is what the Internet is all about. The idea that you can express whatever your political opinion is in any forum…

Wiki: “A college lecturer contributed to a blog in which she referred to a politician (who had also expressed his views in the same blog) using various uncomplimentary names, including referring to him as a "Nazi". The politician found out the real name of the lecturer (she wrote under a pseudonym) via the ISP and successfully sued her for £10,000 in damages and £7,200 costs.[22

Ed: Well, maybe, but in America you can post anything you want on the Internet without fear of repercussions…

Wiki: “In the United States, blogger Aaron Wall was sued by Traffic Power for defamation and publication of trade secrets in 2005.[23

Ed: But it is just a post. It’s just my opinions, or the things that have happened to me, that might be relevant somewhere in the world to another person. What harm is posting something on the web, that only a few people will likely see?

Wiki: “Blogging can sometimes have unforeseen consequences in politically sensitive areas. Blogs are much harder to control than broadcast or even print media”

Ed: Oh come on now Wikipedia. I mean just posting my opinions can’t hurt me can it…?

Wiki: “One consequence of blogging is the possibility of attacks or threats against the blogger, sometimes without apparent reason.”

Ed: So why should I then write a blog for the whole world to see if I will be in danger of litigation, being ostracized and physical harm to myself?

Wiki: “Scientists have long known the therapeutic benefits of writing about personal experiences. Blogs provide another convenient avenue for writing about personal experiences.”

Ed: I think it might be easier and cheaper to buy a diary. With a lock on it.


The beginning.

 

(All quotes in italics taken from Wikipedia’s page on the word “Blog”. Please support the work of Wikipedia with a donation. Go to http://tinyurl.com/8doex5 for more information.)

 

No comments: